You can also find this information in PDF format here.


Where do empty isoflurane bottles go?

  • Put empty bottles in the fumehood in the perfusion room. Keep them open so excess isoflurane evaporates (the cap can be thrown away in the regular trash). When they are empty, throw away in glass disposal. Glass disposal is the blue “broken glass” cardboard box beside the garbage in the same room. Do NOT place empty bottles back into the cupboard.

Where do empty glass PFA vials go?

  • After preparing PFA, put empty vials into a small plastic ziploc bag and leave open in the fume hood allowing residual PFA to evaporate

  • The next day, close the bag and place in the broken glass cardboard box in the perfusion room

What to do with a full broken glass cardboard box?

  • Close the lid to the box (there is a cardboard portion that hangs off the side of the box that needs to cover the opening of the box)

  • Move the box to the main garbage area in the main lab

  • Use packing tape (can be found in the mechanical room cabinet) to securely attach the lid to the cardboard box

  • New broken glass boxes can be found in the perfusion room under the metal supplies rack behind the door.

What do I do with mouse carcasses?

  • Put mouse carcasses in plastic ziplock bag (underneath sink by dishwasher) into tupperware located in Freezer #1 (located in the main lab). When this is full, empty the tupperware into the freezer on the loading dock (see below for location)

Where do I throw away old MnCl2?

  • Into the MnCl2 waste bottle, located in the perfusion room fumehood. Throw the empty vacutainer into red cytotoxic waste.

Where do I throw out old clidox?

  • Clidox is ineffective when it loses its yellow color. Old clidox can be poured down the drain of the sink.

What do I do when the waste bags/sharps containers are full?

  • RED cytotoxic waste/sharps: tie up full bags and bring to cytotoxic waste disposal on the loading dock (see below for location). Put full (closed) cytotoxic sharps containers into the bags as well.

  • YELLOW biohazard waste/sharps: tie up full bags and leave for cleaning staff to pick up. Full biohazard sharps containers should be closed and left beside the garbage bin as well.

  • Replace bags - find new ones under the sink beside dishwasher

  • Replace sharps containers - find new ones across from the day rack on top of the lab bench.

Where is waste disposal on the loading dock (carcass and cytotoxic waste)?

  • Go up the stairs. Instead of turning left to the MICe cubicles, keep going straight through the double doors and onto the loading dock. To your left, there is an open room where there is a freezer for carcasses and bins for red cytotoxic waste.


Filling red water bottles

  • The water bottles and jugs of water are sterile. Take the cage of red bottles and jugs of water into the biosafety cabinet, where you can open and fill them. Do NOT open anything outside of the biosafety cabinets.


What do I do with dirty red water bottles and cages?

  • Place dirty cages and water bottles into the pass-through window located beside the day rack. If you are in scrubs, check this pass-through window and move dirty cages and bottles to day rack located to the left of the pass-through window in the hallway (even if they are not yours!).

How long can I keep my mice on the day rack?

  • Only 24 hours. TCP monitors cages and keeps track of how long cages sit on the day rack. Do not exceed the 24 hour window.

  • Make sure that mice have adequate food and water (see above for instructions on how to fill red water bottles for cages)

  • Please review SOP HS019 - Use of Day Racks here

How do I transfer a large number of cages (2+) into MICe from the animal facility?

  • Take a metal (not plastic) cart from MICe and get your mice

  • When bringing mice back, you can either wheel the cart into the E-pass thru door

  • or transfer cages through the D-pass thru window - on the other side of the pass-thru window place a cart outside the floor drawn MR gauss lines - walk the cages from the window to the cart


Where do I get more isoflurane?

  • Boxes of isoflurane are located in the cupboard underneath where the currently used bottles are kept.

Where do I get more large kimwipes?

  • In a large plastic bin underneath the metal table in the perfusion room. Break down empty box and put in recycling bin.

How do I order more ketamine (or other controlled substances) for my lab?

  • When you notice that your lab’s supply of ketamine is running low..

  • On LIMS -> Regulations -> Drug Requests -> Create Drug Request

  • Select Principal Investigator and drug

  • Fill in the date required and the amount details (ex. 10 mL at 10 mg/mL)

  • Print the request form and have your PI sign

  • Meet TCP staff (Brianna Attanasio) to exchange new supply for signed sheet

  • Remember to start a new Drug dispensing sheet in the controlled drug binder when you start the new solution

How do I order more things?

  • For dayrack supplies (yellow gowns, purple gloves, water jugs, water bottles, clidox): Fill out order sheet on the clipboard located at end of lab bench - leave empty jugs (clidox and water) by the clipboard for pick up

  • For other supplies: check our back stock first! If we don’t have any more, write down your order on the whiteboard.


  • No open toe shoes/sandals in the lab

  • No food in the lab

  • Always wash your lab dishes

  • Always wear a yellow gown and gloves when working with mice- scrubs, face mask and hair cover when working with mice that will be returned to the animal facility

  • Use purple nitrile gloves when working with cytotoxic chemicals/drugs (i.e. MnCl2)

  • NO gloved hands on door handles, cabinet handles, computer keyboards, MRI cables, etc. Remove gloves first!

  • Break down all cardboard boxes

  • Clean up after yourself, respect the lab space and your colleagues!

  • Don’t be afraid to ASK for help if you aren’t sure what to do

  • No labels